Monday, October 26, 2009

what's in my arsenal now.....











well let's see besides my shotguns...and my walther p22. i added a kel-tec p32 in .32 caliber...that i like to carry. this gun although underpowered to kill troublemakers....is very nice to pocket carry. i also added a springfield armory emp in 9mm. i looked hard at the kimber's and sa, but in the end the sa won as all the kimhber's i looked at in my dealer's stock had issues. it was shocking to me how brand new guns at this price point could have these kind of flaws. even my dealer said he was getting sick and tired of the kimber quality contol issues. now mind you most were superficial stuff like corrosion on the their carbon barrels/muzzles. and just all in all bad finishing work for $1k + priced stuff,....but i've also heard good results with kimber's and if i remember right i think rampage owns one that has been good for him, right? anyways...i like the springfield better, so i added the emp. from what i say comparing apples to apples...springfield vs. kimber...springfield wins every time. cheaper, better quality materials and all in all better guns for less money than a kimber. not that kimber's are crap or anything, but they are too high priced for what you really get. ymmv.
i also added a s&w m&p 15 in .22lr. this is onbe awesome gun. looks badass and is badass for a .22lr rifle.
lastly a sig sauer p238 in .380. i love this little single action pistol. it is one awesome gun for under 500 bucks. almost an exact copy of the infamous colt mustang pistol.
well safe shooting everyone......

4 comments:

Robert McDonald said...

The more I hear about Kimber issues, the more I may steer clear of them in the future. I've owned two, a full size Stainless II (which I traded in on my M&P15 recently) and I have an Ultra Raptor II which is the compact officer's model 1911. I've never had trouble with them, but maybe I was lucky. I think my next 1911 will be a Springfield though.

I love my M&P15! Congrats on getting one!

Have you shoot the Sig? I'd love to get one, but I read a lot of bad reviews about people having trouble with them and it kind of scared me off. Estheically I love that gun, and I really want to get a pocket pistol.

jhb said...

thanks. how do you like your m&p15? i've been debating on getting a 5.56 nato ar-15,before they do the assault weapon ban again.... but since i'm a lefty i always seem to be pulled over to stag arms...since they make a lefty version. of course no one locally stocks this and special orders around here are a complete nightmare for some reason?

anyways... this .22lr m&p15, i got was cheap enopugh that i figured i can handle the brass shooting by my face...plus i'm pretty much used to it.

no, i haven't shot the p238 yet. i also heard bad things about feeding issues, etc. the rumors i've heard was sig bought the plans from colt for the mustang, and basically copied it. i've never owned a mustang, but from what i gather they are notorious for not working, and the return rate was so high at colt that they finally stopped making these pistols. although keep in mind i have a walther p22....so i am used to problems.:) i plan on shooting it in the next week or so...i will report what occured.

i hope it feeds properly without issues as i plan on carrying this one, assuming it will work properly. i love the feel, and size. it's a nice pistol....and a keeper for me, but only if it will actually shoot.

j.h.

Robert McDonald said...

I really like my M&P15. I'm a bit weird. I shot pistols right handed, but long guns left handed so I'm in the same group with you when it comes to the brass ejection across the nose. I have to say that I have not had any problems with it though. It's been great fun and I haven't gotten any brass in the face. Everything ejects far away. I actually think they incorporated a deflector in the design. There is an up jut of metal right behind where the brass ejects.

Good luck with the P238. Some people have had no problems with them, and some have had nothing but problems. Of course, I've heard the same thing about Kimbers too and I haven't had any problems with mine.

jhb said...

yep there is a deflector in the design you are 100% correct...part of the reason i went ahead and grabbed one. good info, thanks.

on the p238...taking it to the range today to shoot 50 rounds or so through it, and see what happens. i will follow up on that. from my limited research it appears the early verisons had bad magazine designs that caused allot of feeding issues....mine is a current one based on the serial number, so hopefully they have fixed all the problems? we shall see though...nothing worse than a gun that doesn't shoot or worse shoots inconsistent...especially a pocket pistol...because they aren't much fun at the range...so if they can't do what they are supposed to reliably...there are pretty much as useful as a paperweight.

j.h.